Tuesday 17 April 2012

Learning Itch

It's a thing.

Really it is... I'm sure a lot of people get it and I'm having it for some time now. It's been what? almost two years since I was in a classroom or lab and in the process of learning something. Still it's not like I haven't learned a thing or two in the meantime but it mostly has been learning through experience (6 months bank internship and 8 months military service).

I want something more focused and a little more time-consuming to immerse myself. So far I'm between either a foreign language or some kind of computer technology. However I'm more biased towards the former since I'll have to learn to use some stuff for my computer science thesis (yeah it's not done yet).

So unless I have some other inspiration soon, I will probably try to make up my mind on which of the following I want to focus:

  1. French - I already have some basic knowledge here (did some courses as a teenager) including grammar etc, I can read quite well but I definitely need more oral/listening skill.
  2. German - I've been interested to learn for the last couple of years but never got around to it. Germany is one of my top choices for postgraduate studies (MSc) - actually it's more the result of elimination process rather than selection but that is food for another post. Even if I don't go for a MSc there I could definitely see myself passing from a German speaking country for a couple of years (PhD, post-doc, science or engineering related job)
  3. Some other European language - This is were it gets hazy... English, German and French are probably the three top choices when it comes to studying or working in the EU. Beyond those any language from Spanish or Italian (the next in terms of number of speakers in Europe) over to Swedish or Danish probably carries the same weight as far as I'm concerned. Culturally I'd lean towards Spanish/Italian. Even if I don't ever work or study there I'd really like to be able to travel and know the language, or even read the literature or watch theater/opera etc. Scandinavian countries or the Netherlands on the other hand appeal a lot to me a study/work destination so knowing the language would be an added bonus but then again it's hard to pick. So bottom line is, anything goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment